Monday, October 26, 2009

The Adventures of Maxie

I was walking. Just gotten off the bus. And it was raining. Really raining. I waited under the bus shelter for a while with the other people for a little while, wondering if the rain would ever stop. It didn't. It was getting dark. Time to go home. I cross the street. I'm soaked already. But I don't mind too much. The Indonesian's never want to get wet it seems. They say you will get sick if you leave your head uncovered in the rain. I could see something like that happening. But it hasn't happened yet, so for now I am perfectly comfortable with leting the water run down my face.
But now it is raining harder. And it's cold. Actually cold in Indonesia. I regret not bringing a jacket or sweater. Shucks.
I pass by the vendors by the mini-mart, their wares protected by the overhang. One of them calls out to me, to come over, to get out of the rain. I agree and they offer me a seat. It's the girls, one of them is the small quiet one who I alwasy buy DVDs from. The other two sell cell phone minutes from a glass case. Not too sure how it works.
They ask me my name. I tell them. They ask me more questions assuming that I know at least a little Bahasa. I reply and give them a confused smile when I don't understand. Laughs all around. They get a kick out of talking with me, trying to speak English and trying to make me understand what they are trying to say. It's fun. One of them asks me how the previous DVD I bought was. I told her it was good. I would have said more but I'm not sure I could with what I know of Bahasa. She tries to pronounce the name. Mon-gool she says, kinda slowly and with an accent. She laughs at herself and everyone laughs with her. I decide to buy another DVD. I chose one and handed over the money. 60 cents for a dvd. Ridiculous in America. A tad bit over-priced here. Raka says you can get ones for cheaper over in Jakarta. I have yet to find a cheaper price in Bogor.
The rain lays off a bit. I'm pretty cold, my wet shirt sticking to me. I say goodbye and step onto the puddle riddled street. I'm off. Back to home. I'm content. Made some new friends. But I forgot their names. Gaa I am a bad person. But I guess it's okay. One of the security guards who I pass by everyday thought my name was Maxie which me and my friend thought was pretty funny. Maxie. It's not even close to Josh. I wonder where he got it from?

1 comment:

  1. Haha, the infamous story of the Satpam and Maxie. And the name doesn't even sound Indonesia at all. By the way, it's Rassi, you met me with Nisa at the halloween party, since you might be the kind of person who's lousy with names:). Sekarang nama kamu Maxie bukan Josh.

    ReplyDelete