Friday, September 18, 2009

Didi

Who are you? Are you family or a family friend? I have never seen you before. What are you doing here. The man was small. He looked friendly though. He had tatoos on his arms. He was sitting in the maid's house watching TV. The maids are back at their homes for Lebaran. I had some dirty clothes that my mom had told me to put by the washer. I poked my head through the doorway.
"Hello?"
"Ya?"
He smiles. He seems nice. A brief awkward moment. I don't know how to say what I want in Bahasa. He points to the clothes.
"Dirty?"
I struggle to find some words that would remotely make sense.
"Iya. Ini di mana?"
He points down the room towards the washer and says something. I get the point though. I set up on the rack next to the box-like machine. He stands there grinning. He looks like a good fellow look despite the tattoos. If he was shooting for the tough-guy look he couldn't really pull it off. I still don't know his name. He goes back to watching TV. I went back upstairs. I later asked Dimas who he was. He said his name was Didi. Who is he? He didn't know how to explain his relationship with us. I asked if he was family, friend or like a servant? He said no to all of those. He couldn't put it into words. Didi the mystery man. For now I'll call him the friendly person who lives across the yard from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment