Friday, September 11, 2009

RATS!

The exchange student experiance is quite ride. A wild crazy ride which you don't have much control of at first. New things, tastes, smells and ideas are thrust at you by dozens of hands. You try and deal with it. You're excited and exhausted at the same time. You want to do everything and be everywhere but you need to learn that you are here for a year. You have time for everythng. For now you can relax. I lay on my bed one afternoon, debating if I wanted to get up and do something. I was so tired but I still feel like I'm wasting time if I'm not doing something. I didn't want to get up. I decided in the end that I would sleep now so I would have energy later. mmm. Dinner. I look forward to it. And the delicious sweets and food that we eat just after we break the fast. And with some food on my mind I fell asleep.

About sleep. Apparantly I talk to crash cans. Dimas said I stood up and began talking really fast mumbled English to the little blastic bin. Dimas tried talking to me but I gave him a similar response and then proceed to declare that I was sleepy and pass out on the Fandra's (Dimas cousin) mattress instead of my own. When I woke up in the morning I couldn't remember any of it. My host family thought it was hilarious. So did I. I love things like that. My host mom said we should lock the doors just in case I try and wander out into the street. I wasn't sure if she was joking or not.

Did you know there are rats in my yard? Big ones too. Like huge and fatty things with tails. They only comeout at night and chase eachother around the fish pool. You can hear them during dinner. They don't come into the house or near us for that matter. They stay in their area, we stay in ours. It all works out. Everybody's happy.

1 comment:

  1. Josh I am so enjoying your blog posts. They are so in the moment. Funny about the sleepwalking and talking---I remember many times that happening here at home! Hmmm rats---they are such a successful species. Glad to hear they are staying in their designated area. What food do you break fast with?
    Deb

    ReplyDelete