Friday, September 4, 2009

Those random things that come to mind

Some kids were doing push-ups on the side of the road. They had been at it for a while I think. Sweat was pouring down their faces and each push-up took more and more effort. A police man stood over them, watching them toil in the dust of a Bogor city street. Some on-lookers laughed and giggled. "Why are you doing push-ups" I asked to the general audience within the car. "they were racing. Illegally." I thought that was funny in a sense. Instead of throwing the law, and technicalities about what is legal or not onto the teens, the cop made them do push-ups in front of everyone. Just thought it was interesting. And slightly humorous. I don't think I've ever seen a cop in the U.S use their authority in that sort of way.
Well, here I am, trying to summarize the past three weeks. I haven't touched on my entry into Indonesia (except for that warm greeting sign), first week in Bogor, LOC or school, the key component to this exchange program (my visa depends on me going to school so school basically enables me to live here for the next 11 1/4 months). Maybe I'll start with Indonesia itself, Jakarta and my first week in Bogor.

Indonesia is a vast, Jakarta is sprawling and Bogor is a small. After the first week or two I knew a very vague general layout of the city. Of course there are still areas I haven't been to. Every time I climb the stairs at school to get to my classroom I see this flat expanse of city that is unexplored. It's hard to think that I'm on one of many islands in vast archipelago actually. I didn't see the ocean at all in Jakarta, and Bogor is inland. That's not to say I dislike it here. On the contrary its been a blast. Within my first two days in Indonesia I ate cow tongue and squid. Not too fond of the tongue. A rather unappetizing texture. The squid was good though.
The initial orientation camp was an interesting experience. All of us Americans were jet-lagged, being bombarded by a new language and culture, and tired as fuck. Some of us slept through meals. It was fresh though, and new. I was excited despite my disoriented self. Indonesia surprised me. I half-expected it to be like Thailand. Which it isn't at all. The language for example, it has no distinct Asian tone which I expected. Chinese, Japanese, Korean I think and Thai have very distinct and classic Asian sounds. But Bahasa (Indonesian) sounds different, not typical. I don't know how to describe it. It still sounds Asian but not distinctly. It has underlying tones that are very different and unexpected. Hmmmm. I have too many ideas bouncing around. My writing might be a little bit ramblish. But I am pretty sleepy. Ramadan and fasting really takes the energy out of you. Sleepy all the time and you never get angry or upset cuz frankly, you can't. Anyways, I will write more so read if you like it so far.

3 comments:

  1. Bahasa indonesia is the creation of melting languages from Dutch, Mandarin, Arabic, Malay, English, Portuguese, and Spanish influence. It is awesome and make our tounge easily learn to speak other languages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. i enjoy the texture of cow tongue. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. indonesian is pretty weird. i'm amazed i can speak it. though me being indonesian might have something to do with it. anyway, i will be following your stories, it's always nice to see indonesia from a stranger's perspective

    ReplyDelete